2020- 2022 Policy Process | Green Party of Canada
Where GPC membership collaborates to develop our policies
G21-E012 Provide a Leadership Contract in consultation with an employment contract lawyer and ratified by the general membership*
* VGM-2 Amended Version
Ratification Vote Results: Adopted
Result of VGM vote
96% of members present RECOMMENDED the adoption of the proposal.
Emergency Motion, Directive
This is the amended proposal adopted by GPC membership at the VGM-2.
The GPC will supply a Leadership contract to be presented to, and accepted by, leadership contestants with the application materials to run in a Leadership contest.
- The Leadership contract will be drafted in consultation with a licensed lawyer who specializes in employment contracts;
- The contract will clearly define the responsibilities, expectations, and salary plus benefits, that are considered in scope of the role of the Leader;
- Any amendments outside of scope as defined in the contract, by a Leader upon being elected, must be done in consultation with an employment contract lawyer;
- The Leadership contract will be considered a public document available to be viewed by a request to the GPC Fund.
This emergency motions meets the following requirements:
An Emergency Motion is defined as a proposal which deals with a new political issue which has emerged after the GPC policy proposal submission deadline and for which there is no applicable GPC policy principle.
- The GPC has not had a Leadership contract approved by the general membership, the result of which has proven to be disadvantageous to the overall wellness of the GPC
- The GPC has not had in place a system that allows for greater transparency on Leadership contracts which affects the party and its members directly.
The GPC will not accept a proposal as “emergency” if the issue is not new and emerging and time sensitive.
- This policy motion is time sensitive as it would be to the GPC’s benefit to have a contract in place and ratified by the membership before the next Leadership contest which will be occurring within the next six months.
We assert that the key to social justice is the equitable distribution of resources to ensure that all have full opportunities for personal and social development.
- A leadership contract will help to secure and enhance the social justice afforded to the party and its members through having a Leadership contract that is considered just and equitable by the party and its membership.
We strive for a democracy in which all citizens have the right to express their views and are able to directly participate in decisions which affect their lives.
- The addition of having the Leadership contract approved by the general membership through a consensus vote, including any amendments, enhances the system of participatory democracy where it becomes the responsibility of the collective to ensure a just and equitable Leadership employment contract is favorable to all parties involved.
Participatory Democracy, Social Justice.
List of Endorsements
Join us on February 24 and 25, to define the future of the Party at the 19th GENERAL MEETING!
We're building a new kind of politics. One that is open, participatory, and people-powered.
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?