Collaborative Proposal Creation
Create, improve and sponsor proposals in a respectful, fully bilingual environment. Grow proposals in the "Hothouse", for promotion to the "Workshop", to become official GPC policy.
On Nuclear Power
Be it resolved that the Green Party of Canada
• will adopt a view of nuclear power that is consistent with the best scientific knowledge and practices, and
• will advocate for the continued exploration of nuclear power technologies, including SMR manufacturing technologies, and alternative fuels such as thorium, and
• will advocate for the overhaul of the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, including its replacement with a regulatory environment that encourages rather than stifles the introduction of new nuclear capacity, nevertheless with a continued emphasis on safety.
Type of Proposal
Public policy that the party would represent
Objective / Benefit
The GPC has a longstanding public position of preferring renewable power generation instead of nuclear power generation. Yet not one policy currently addresses the beneficial effects of nuclear power. All policy references to nuclear are to the prevention and control of nuclear weapons.
The objective of this policy is to establish a new policy that addresses the benefits of the use of nuclear power generation in a changing environment that urgently needs reliable power generation.
- Whereas the policies of the Green Party of Canada are to be based on scientific principles, and
- Whereas we now know how to build nuclear power plants that are far safer than our current operational designs, and
- Whereas nuclear power generation can be demonstrated,
- to be the least polluting of all electricity generation technologies, in terms of CO2 production per MW of capacity,
- to have the smallest footprint in terms of station size, acres per MW of installed capacity,
- to have the lowest volume of waste production in terms of tons per MW,
- to require the least input of scarce resources in terms of tons per MW,
- to have the best safety record of all generation facilities in terms of loss of human life per MW of installed capacity, and
- Whereas we do know what to do with spent nuclear fuel to ensure safety.
This policy will complement and expand the policies of the Green Party of Canada, making them more appropriate in an intellectually honest way.
If your proposal replaces an existing policy or policies, which one does it replace?
This is new policy. All existing policy addresses various aspects of the undesirability of nuclear weapons. It does not in any way reduce the relevance of those policies.
List any supporting evidence for your proposal
1. Jack Devanney, The Two Lies that killed nuclear:
2. Jack Devanney, Why Nuclear Power Has Been a Flop:
3. Cleo Abram, The Big Lie About Nuclear Waste:
4. Burning Nuclear waste:
5. IEA on Nuclear Power:
6. Our World in Data, Death Toll from Chernobyl and Fukushima:
7. Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, LNT:
8. Original text of this proposal: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/wsri2d9orq1usbbk3r7fk/GPC-Nuclear.docx?rlkey=3ufgy88m6i1pw0fl83df6x1j5&amp;amp;dl=0
Does this proposal affect any particular group and what efforts have been made to consult with the group or groups?
There are many in the party and outside, who consider Nuclear Power to be so dangerous as to be categorically denied as a solution to our future power needs. This policy reverses that perception of Nuclear Power. It is likely to alienate such people in their support of the party.
There is also likely to be an adverse reaction from the Global Greens, which would need to be carefully managed, though it is to be hoped that this motion will start a greens-wide reassessment of their positions on nuclear power.
Jurisdiction: Is this proposal under federal jurisdiction?
Please indicate the language the proposal is being submitted in.
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?