Collaborative Proposal Creation
Create, improve and sponsor proposals in a respectful, fully bilingual environment. Grow proposals in the "Hothouse", for promotion to the "Workshop", to become official GPC policy.
Define the role of the Executive Council and its members
- Proposal text
- Constitution and Bylaws are amended to replace 'President' with 'Chair of Federal Council', 'Vice-President French' with 'Francophone Vice-Chair', 'Vice-President English' with 'Anglophone Vice-Chair'.Add after Bylaw 2.6.1, which is part of Bylaw 2.6 - Executive Council, the following:Bylaw 2.6.2 Executive CouncilThe Executive Council’s primary role is to prepare the draft agenda of regular meetings of Federal Council.The Executive Council also discusses and makes decisions on matters that cannot reasonably wait for the next regular Federal Council meeting. However, all decisions of the Executive Council must then be ratified by Federal Council.Bylaw 2.6.3 LeaderAs chief spokesperson, the Leader represents the Party in all public activities, particularly with the media, to express the positions of the Party and to ensure Party representation amongst various groups.The Leader is responsible for steering the Party’s interventions in Parliament, relaying the concerns of Canadians and coordinating the work of Caucus.Bylaw 2.6.4 Chair of Federal CouncilFor Federal Council and Executive Council meetings, the Chair is responsible for ensuring that meetings are scheduled regularly and when needed, that someone is available to facilitate in a way that favours consensus decision-making as much as possible, that minutes are taken, and that agendas, minutes and supporting documents are archived appropriately.The Chair is also responsible for ensuring that Federal Council, the Executive Council and committees of Federal Council govern itself as per the guidelines and rules it has agreed upon.Bylaw 2.6.5 Anglophone Vice-Chair and Francophone Vice-ChairThe two Vice-Chairs are responsible for supporting the Chair in their duties.Bylaw 2.6.6 Fund RepresentativeThe Fund Representative is responsible for representing Federal Council at Fund Board meetings by communicating its views and decisions that may affect the Green Party of Canada Fund and to relay the recommendations and requests of the Fund Board to Federal Council.
- Type of Proposal
- A constitutional amendment to change the constitution or bylaws
- Objective / Benefit
- By defining briefly the role of the Executive Council and its members (Leader, President, Vice-Chairs, Fund Representative), it will fill an important gap and bring greater clarity to our governance.
- If your proposal replaces an existing policy or policies, which one does it replace?
- List any supporting evidence for your proposal
- Does this proposal affect any particular group and what efforts have been made to consult with the group or groups?
- Jurisdiction: Is this proposal under federal jurisdiction?
- Unsure or Not applicable (e.g. directives and constitutional changes)
- Please indicate the language the proposal is being submitted in.
Report inappropriate content
Is this content inappropriate?