2024 Federal and Young Greens Council By-Elections
Electing the representatives of the Green Party of Canada's members
About this process
Click here to see recent Council Elections
Federal Council governs the Green Party of Canada on behalf of members like you.
It is essentially the board of directors for the Party, determining planning, vision and budget.
This year there are 4 of 21 voting positions of Federal Council in by-elections to fill vacant seats:
- Manitoba Representative (1 year)
- Newfoundland and Labrador Representative (1 year)
- Northern Territories Representative (1 year)
- Ontario Representative
Councillors are normally elected for two year terms, with approximately half of the positions being elected each year. Three positions, First Nations Representative, Inuit Representative and the Métis Representative, remain unfilled.
Young Greens of Canada Council
There are also two positions of Young Greens Council up for election:
- British Columbia Representative
- Ontario Representative
The purpose of the Young Greens of Canada (YGC) is to:
- support the Green Party in their efforts to elect candidates to the House of Commons;
- ensure a youth voice is part of debating and forming legislation in Canada’s Parliament;
- ensure a youth voice is part of developing the policy, positions, and platforms of the Party;
- facilitate the involvement of young Canadians and encourage youth-friendly structures and atmosphere within the YGC and the Party more broadly; and
- ensure the Principles of the Global Greens Charter that reference young people are respected and prioritized.
As the governance body of the YGC, the YGC Council provides leadership and representation for the Young Greens membership. In this role, they are responsible for ensuring that the above aims are being met with the support of staff, and for providing the strategic direction needed to achieve them. This means making decisions on strategic goals and advising on the budget, advocating for youth both within the Party and out, and spearheading a diverse array of projects aimed at growing the Young Greens movement and encouraging youth engagement in politics.
Town Halls - Past meetings See all meetings (1)See all meetings (1)
The Candidates See all proposals (3)
Join us on February 24 and 25, to define the future of the Party at the 19th GENERAL MEETING!
We're building a new kind of politics. One that is open, participatory, and people-powered.